P A N C A K E S only for weekends? Not in our house! There are pancakes and then there are pancakes. Traditionally pancakes are filled with flour and butter and coated in a sweet syrup. They may taste delicious, but they aren't going to set you up for an awesome day. More like an instant crash.
If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen I posted our Saturday morning pancakes in my stories. I got so many requests for the recipe so here it is! After a lot of trial and error, this is our fail-proof delicious, quick and easy gluten-free pancake recipe. And the BEST news for any school-run parents (coz you know that we don't feel like cooking at 7 in the morning!) these pancakes can be made the night before and popped in the toaster in the morning, so EASY and so much more exciting and nutritious than a bowl of sugary cereal or boring piece of toast.
The ingredients in these gluten-free pancakes are:
- Oats, milled into oat flour
- 2 bananas mashed up
- 1 egg (or substitute with chia egg)
- Almond/oat/rice milk
- Vanilla powder
- Generous teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Drizzle with honey or rice syrup and serve with berries and/or yogurt
1. Mill 2 cups of oats into flour (I love this mini Cuisinart for easy grinding and chopping)
2. Slice 2 bananas into quarters (slice vertically then in half)
3. Whisk 1 egg or (chia egg for vegans) into 150 ml of almond/rice/oat milk
4. Add a teaspoon of vanilla
5. Add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder
6. Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder
7. Add a pinch of salt
8. Mix with oat flour and banana
9. Warm a large frying pan with coconut oil
10. Add a spoonful of pancake batter, slightly flatten
11. After 2 minutes flip the pancake and cook for another 2 minutes
12. Serve with berries/yogurt/honey/lemon or just eat as is!
A note on oats. Are oats gluten-free? YES, they are. However, they are often packaged in a factory that handles wheat products and so there can be cross-contamination if you have a gluten allergy or intolerance you can buy gluten-free oats that are packaged in a facility devoid of gluten products.
Happy pancake making. I'd love to hear whether you (or your kids) enjoy these pancakes. Tag me on Instagram @breatheeatmeditate xx
Grab your free copy of my Complete Gluten-Free guide, with more delicious recipes!