VEGAN ICE CREAM RECIPE
It’s hot and all my kids want to eat is ice cream.
Only mine? 🤷♀️
This super delicious vegan recipe, only contains natural sugars, few ingredients and is really filling … so they don’t ask for more 👌
But more importantly, doesn’t lead to sugar overloaded tantrums! 👏
This recipe is really simple and apart from needing to freeze the ice cream takes no time at all.
Ingredients for vegan ice cream:
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 1.5 cups water
- 0.5 cup rice or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for vegan chocolate casing:
- 1/3 cup raw cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup rice or maple syrup
How to make vegan ice cream lollies:
- Blend. Add the cashews, water, vanilla, and syrup to a blender, and blend until totally smooth and creamy.
- Freeze. Pour the blended mixture into an ice lolly mold and freeze until solid, about 6 hours or overnight.
- Make chocolate coating. Add the cacao powder, syrup, and coconut oil to a bowl, and whisk until no clumps remain. Be sure that the syrup is at room temperature, so the mixture will be drippy and pour-able. (Cold syrup will cause the coconut oil to thicken up and seize the mixture.)
- Remove the ice cream molds. To remove the ice cream bars from the mold, try running the ice lolly mold upside down under hot water briefly. This should help the edges loosen up enough for you to pull each lolly out. Lay them down on a large baking tray lined with baking paper, so you’ll be able to coat them all in chocolate next.
- Coat with chocolate. Pick up one lolly at a time and using a spoon coat with the raw chocolate. See this video of me doing it. Place the baking tray in the freezer, if needed, to help keep the bars cold as you work.
- Enjoy! Once the chocolate has hardened, these "vegan magnums" are ready to eat.
For mint choc-chip flavour vegan ice cream:
- Add 3/4 cup of cocoa nibs to the ice cream mixture after you've blended it.
- Add 4-8 drops of doTERRA peppermint essential oil to the raw chocolate mixture.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! For more delicious healthy vegan chocolate recipes grab my free e-book here.
You may also enjoy these blog posts:
Inspiration for the original recipe from Detoxinista.